Since we’ve found new ways to use our ground bear meat instead of simply breakfast sausage patties (which ARE delicious…but since we still have half a freezer full of bear sausage, it’s nice to be able to use it in other recipes), I’ve been on an Italian recipe kick with it. (See how we make our bear sausage.)
Growing up, spaghetti with meat sauce was a Sunday staple in our household. It was quick, easy, delicious. So my Italian kick naturally gravitated toward something similar.
When I went to the store to buy the ingredients, peppers were on sale. Their bright colors drew me in, and I stocked up on red, yellow, and green peppers.
We had the bear sausage thawing out, so instead of a basic spaghetti recipe, I went with an Italian Bear Spaghetti with a colorful kick!
To make the sausage less Jimmie Dean breakfast style and more Italian style, I added some red wine, sage, ground fennel, crushed red pepper, black pepper, salt and cayenne pepper to the bear sausage as I browned it.
In a separate pan, I sautéed onion, garlic, mushrooms, and all of my peppers.
Add the veggies to the bear sausage along with some marinara sauce and fresh tomatoes.
Let simmer until flavors blend.
You can put it over pasta spaghetti (Roy’s preference):
Or squash spaghetti (my preference):
But I definitely recommend topping it all off with Parmesan cheese! Or any cheese… My dad puts a slice of American cheese on his spaghetti. So I think anything goes!
- 1 pound ground bear sausage
- ½ white onion (softball size)
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- ⅓ cup red wine
- 1 large red pepper
- 1 large yellow pepper
- 1 large green pepper
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms sliced thinly
- 1 cup fresh tomatoes, diced
- 2½ - 3½ cups marinara sauce (depending on how thick/thin you like your sauce)
- 1 Tbsp sage
- 2 tsp ground fennel
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper
- Couple dashes of cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tsp salt (plus more to taste)
- Top with Parmesan cheese
- Brown bear sausage with red wine, sage, ground fennel, crushed red pepper, black pepper, salt and cayenne pepper.
- Sauté onion, garlic, mushrooms, and peppers.
- Add the veggies to the bear sausage along with some marinara sauce and fresh tomatoes.
- Let simmer until flavors blend.
- Pour it over pasta/squash spaghetti.
- Top with Parmesan cheese.